VIZIO, Inc. and its affiliates (“VIZIO”, “we,” or “us,” interchangeably) respect your privacy. Your privacy is a priority to VIZIO, and we take responsible measures to protect it.
Notice about viewing data and other user tracking:
What information we collect
Personal Information. We collect various categories of data from purchasers and users of our consumer products and services. Some of this information can be used to identify or contact a specific person directly. We call this “Personal Information.” When you interact with VIZIO, we may collect Personal Information relevant to the situation, such as your name or contact information including mailing address, phone number, or email address. For example, if you make purchases directly from VIZIO, for example at our online store at VIZIO.com, we also collect your payment (i.e., credit card) information. Further, VIZIO collects Personal Information when you purchase a product from us directly, register a VIZIO product or service, open a myVIZIO account online or in the SmartCast App, access certain VIZIO services, contact us for warranty service or customer or technical support, enter a sweepstakes or participate in surveys, promotions and giveaways. From time to time, we may offer additional products, features, services and promotional opportunities that would require you to submit Personal Information to VIZIO in order to participate.
Personal Information of Children under 13. VIZIO recognizes that parents, guardians, or other adults often purchase our products for family use, including use by minors. We will not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under age 13 for any purpose nor will we knowingly accept registration from them. In some cases, particularly where information is collected electronically, VIZIO may not be able to know whether information was collected from a child under age 13. VIZIO treats this information as though it were provided by an adult. However, if we learn that we have collected Personal Information of a child under age 13, we will attempt to delete that Personal Information as soon as possible and take any other measures required under applicable law.
Non-Personal or Anonymous Information. We also collect data in a form that does not, on its own, permit direct association with any specific individual. We consider this “Non-Personal or Anonymous Information.” We may collect, use, transfer, and disclose Non-Personal Information for any purpose, consistent with the terms expressed in our policies. Examples of Non-Personal or Anonymous Information we collect, use and share include the IP address you use to connect your VIZIO internet-connected product(s), your ZIP code, the online services you visit, as well as information about your VIZIO product(s) such as MAC addresses, product model numbers, hardware and software versions, chipset IDs, and region and language settings. We also collect information about the products you request or purchase, and the number of users and frequency of use of VIZIO products and services. VIZIO also collects Anonymous Information regarding customer activities on our websites, on VIZIO internet-connected products and services including the SmartCast App, and on VIZIO's internet store.
Activity Data. For customers who download and use the SmartCast App, for example with SmartCast Productions, VIZIO also collects information referred to as “Activity Data” about the interactions between an App user’s personal profile (which may be your myVIZIO.com account), including for the purpose of assessing your interests and to recommend relevant content or advertisements. Please review the SmartCast Supplement, available here, for details about collection, use, and disclosure of such Activity Data.
How we use the information we collect
Non-Personal or Anonymous Information. We use Anonymous Information for many reasons, including to determine how people use VIZIO products and services and how they interact with VIZIO.com. For example, at VIZIO.com, this information tells us how often users click on advertisements, which files are downloaded most frequently, and which online services are most popular.Analyzing this data allows us to improve the performance of VIZIO products and services.
Combinations of Data. VIZIO may combine Personal Information and Anonymous Information with other information so that we can provide and improve our products, services, and website.
Note: The SmartCast Supplement describes how App user data is combined with Viewing Data and Activity Data. VIZIO works with advertisers, content-providers and other companies to measure the effectiveness and reach of content viewed on VIZIO products, by combining data that cannot be reasonably identified with an individual with Viewing Data and/or Activity Data as described in our Smart Interactivity and SmartCast supplements.
Activity Data. For SmartCast Products and the SmartCast App, click here to learn about the use of behavior and usage data collected through the App.
How we share the information we collect
Sharing with Third Parties. We may share Personal Information and Non- Personal or Anonymous Information with some third party companies who work with us in our business, such as delivering content, processing payments, addressing warranty claims, and receiving marketing assistance. These companies may help us process information, fulfill customer orders, deliver products to you, manage and enhance customer data, provide customer service, assess your interest in VIZIO products and services, or conduct customer research or satisfaction surveys. When we supply Personal Information to these third parties, we require them to use it only for the function or purpose for which they are working with VIZIO, and prohibit disclosure except at our direction consistent with the services they are contracted to provide.
Disclosing Information. We will disclose Personal Information as required by law, or if any of the following applies in our judgment: it is necessary to respond to lawful governmental requests or legal process (for example, a court order, search warrant, or subpoena); the information is relevant to a crime that has been or is being committed; an emergency exists that poses a threat to your safety or the safety of another person; or it is necessary to protect the rights or property of VIZIO or our employees. If the ownership of VIZIO, Inc. or an affiliate or their respective assets changes as a result of a merger, acquisition, sale of assets, or in the unlikely event of a bankruptcy, your information may be transferred to another company. If we believe a transfer results in a material change in the use of the Personal Information we’ve collected or received about you, you will be given the opportunity to opt- out of the transfer.
International Transfers. VIZIO is a company located in Irvine, California in the United States. If you are located in Canada, Mexico or elsewhere outside of the United States, please be aware that any information we collect may be processed and transferred to the United States and be subject to U.S. law. By using VIZIO products and services or providing us with any information, you consent to the collection, processing, maintenance and transfer of such information to and in the U.S.
How we protect the information we collect
Protective Measures. VIZIO has implemented systems designed to maintain the confidentiality of the Personal Information that it collects. VIZIO maintains internal practices designed to protect the security and confidentiality of this information by, among other things, limiting employee access to and use of this information. When you provide VIZIO with sensitive Personal Information such as credit card numbers over the internet, we encrypt your transmissions using SSL (“Secure Sockets Layer”), and other industry standard security technology. While no one can guarantee the security of a website, internet transmission, computer system or wireless connection, we do employ common safeguards intended to mitigate the risk of unauthorized access or disclosure of the Personal Information we store or handle. We keep such information on servers located in controlled facilities that are protected by firewalls and employ other technical measures designed to prevent intrusion or unauthorized access to our data centers. We maintain written policies and procedures for the protection of the Personal Information collected, stored, handled, or processed on our systems. For employees with access to Personal Information, we provide training to employees on privacy and data security.
Third Party Security Measures. VIZIO also contractually requires third parties with access to the Personal Information (i.e. for providing services to VIZIO) to prevent its disclosure or misuse, such as through the deployment of administrative, technical and physical security measures appropriate to the sensitivity of the data being processed or stored.
How you can access or remove your personal information
VIZIO.com: Do Not Track
VIZIO does not knowingly track Personal Information about visitors to VIZIO.com over different sites and over time, and it does not enable third parties to do so, regardless of whether VIZIO detects a do-not-track or similar signal from a visitor’s browser.
Where applicable, if you post user comments or engage in similar activity, please remember that anything you post may be publicly available. In other words, publicly displayed information is public. Portions of your user profile may also be available to other users of or visitors to our websites. Any such submissions to VIZIO will be public and will not be considered private information and not Personal Information or Anonymous Information. We do not control, and are not responsible for, the actions of other users of the VIZIO website with respect to any information you post. In addition, information that you post may be collected and used by others to send you unsolicited messages and for other purposes.
How to contact us
What is SmartCast?
SmartCast allows you to search, browse and discover content by genre across multiple apps all at once.
This SmartCast Supplement applies to anyone who uses the VIZIO SmartCast mobile application (“SmartCast App” or “App”), which provides a single aggregated view of movies, shows, music, live streams, live television and more. In addition, if you download and use the SmartCast App after connecting a separately purchased Google Chromecast dongle to your VIZIO Smart TV or other display device, this policy will also apply to you. SmartCast users can create an account, or use the App as a “guest.” If an account is created, the SmartCast App allows members of the same household to create separate user profiles and tag favorites to create Personal Watchlists and Collections for quicker access to favorite content.
VIZIO sells a variety of video display and audio products which come with Google Cast technology integrated (“SmartCast Products”) to stream content from mobile phones, tablets, laptops, and other cast transmitters to the VIZIO device. SmartCast Products also work with select DIRECTV and DISH Network devices, and allow access to live streaming channels from mobile apps. You can control a SmartCast Product with the included tablet remote (available with select SmartCast Products), or your own tablet or smartphone via the SmartCast App. A SmartCast Product with a video display may or may not include a traditional TV tuner. VIZIO audio products such as sound bars and speakers are also intended to be used with the SmartCast App.
What does this SmartCast Supplement cover?
This SmartCast Supplement also applies to any other service that directly links to this SmartCast Supplement.
Viewing Data (also known as “Smart Interactivity”) All SmartCast TVs or video display devices are also equipped with a video automated content recognition (“Video ACR”) feature on VIZIO internet-connected devices that recognizes publicly-available onscreen content. While the Video ACR feature, is set to “on” by default, you have the option to turn the Video ACR feature off at any time directly from the Settings menu of your SmartCast App.
What information do SmartCast Products and the SmartCast App collect?
- Personal Information that you supply to us, such as name or contact information you provide when you register your SmartCast Product (including your e-mail address), create a myVIZIO account in the App, link an existing myVIZIO account to the App, create a SmartCast profile name, or complete a survey, enter a contest, or purchase products or services;
- Activity Data is the information about your interactions with the SmartCast Product or App, including:
- sources of information about what is playing on a SmartCast Product, as collected from the SmartCast App, as shared by certain cable or satellite providers with whom we have relationships, or as may be shared with VIZIO by the select third party applications installed on the SmartCast Product (subject to their privacy policies and agreements with you);
- information concerning the use and performance of your SmartCast Products, including programming choices requested, the date and time of these choices, user-initiated searches, content you browse while using the SmartCast tablet, or other commands communicated to the SmartCast Products through the SmartCast App. (NOTE: The App also has a voice recognition feature that allows users to initiate voice commands, which are translated to text, and used to search the SmartCast database.);
- your interactions with advertising and content; and data related to preferences and usage.
- During the setup process for your SmartCast App, you will be presented with various methods for logging into the SmartCast App. If you log into the SmartCast App by creating a new myVIZIO account or by logging into your existing myVIZIO/Fandemonium account, Activity Data collected from the SmartCast App will be associated with your myVIZIO account profile.
- Anonymous Information that is collected as you use the SmartCast video display device or SmartCast App. Anonymous Information such as the unique identifiers of your VIZIO products or other products connected to the SmartCast Products, your IP address, and WiFi access points may be associated with Activity Data or Viewing Data collected through the Video ACR (Viewing Data) feature.
- Viewing Data collected via the Video ACR feature (formerly referred to as “Smart Interactivity”) Another way VIZIO can learn what is playing on a SmartCast video display device is through the Viewing Data (Video ACR) feature, which can collect and analyze content on such a device, unless disabled by you in the Settings menu in the SmartCast App. Viewing Data is associated with your myVIZIO account, if you create one in the APP or link to it.
- Social Networking sites. If you choose to log-in, access or otherwise connect to the SmartCast App through apps such as Facebook or Google+, we may collect your user name associated with that social networking service, as well as any information you agree to release when logging in using that social networking service. If you sign up for the SmartCast App with your Facebook or Google+ account and opt in, the information that you permission will be associated with your myVIZIO account.
- Location data that may include information such as zip code but does not include your exact location (for example, street address).
Use of SmartCast information
We use the information collected from or about SmartCast users or their devices to provide SmartCast services to you, to create new products and services, to send you information about VIZIO products and services, to answer questions from customers (i.e., for troubleshooting), and to personalize and recommend content. We also use SmartCast information in combination with Viewing Data collected through our Video ACR feature to generate statistics and summary reports, such as to support audience measurement products, and to determine which programming and commercials are being watched, which may assist us or our partners or business customers in determining the programming that should be delivered, in informing us, advertisers and programmers how many impressions were received, and in generally making programming and advertising more relevant to consumers.
Controls and options available to SmartCast users
You may use your SmartCast Products and services (a) without registering the product, (b) by using the App in “guest” mode, and/or (c) without using the SmartCast App at all. As described below, in Guest Mode, we may nonetheless build a history of your interactions with a SmartCast Product or SmartCast App even though we do not know who you are. Users of SmartCast Products and services have a number of ways to control or opt-out of the collection of Personal Information, Activity Data, or Viewing Data:
- Basic Remote. You can use just the included basic remote, which can control a limited set of functions on the display. The Quick Start Guide included in the box has further information about the basic remote.
- SmartCast App Guest Mode. You can pair the tablet that may be included in the box or your own device with the SmartCast video display device, and use the SmartCast App in “guest” mode. In that circumstance, we will create a “guest” profile and deliver personalization of content and other App features and functionality, but we will not associate your Activity Data or any Viewing Data (collected via the Video ACR feature also known as “Smart Interactivity”) with any myVIZIO account or user profile name.
- Disabling Video ACR/Viewing Data. You can disable Viewing Data, which will end the collection of information about what you watch (Viewing Data) through this Video ACR feature (formerly referred to as Smart Interactivity). Disabling Viewing Data will not, however, affect or limit collection of Activity Data through the SmartCast App.
Viewing Data -- Overview
Like many internet-connected televisions, VIZIO Smart TVs or other display units are equipped with Video Automated Content Recognition (ACR) technology that recognizes what is playing on the television and sends information back to VIZIO.
- This feature was formerly called “Smart Interactivity,” but we are referring to the feature in our policies and settings today and in the future as “VIEWING DATA.”
- You have the option to turn this feature off at any time directly from the Settings menu of your television or display.
- Reminder for SmartCast App users: Viewing Data may be combined and associated with a myVIZIO account name if you create one in the App or link to it. Please review the SmartCast Supplement for further information.
- The information we collect about what is playing on the TV or display will be used by VIZIO in the aggregate to help improve the design of our products, software and services, and by media companies and advertisers to gain insights at a summary level about programming and ad effectiveness.
- Viewing Data may also be used to tailor the ads or content you see on devices that share the same IP address as the VIZIO device.
What is Viewing Data?
The ACR software also periodically collects other information about the television, including IP address and the media access control (“MAC”) addresses of available access points. Viewing Data is maintained and used in an unidentifiable format, and VIZIO does not attempt to re-identify the data to associate it with individual customers.
At any time you may turn off this Video ACR functionality from the Settings menu of your VIZIO television or display. Turning it off will not affect the performance of your VIZIO television or display or any online services. For specific instructions on how to turn off or on the Video ACR feature that collects Viewing Data, see the text below under the heading “How you can control the collection of Viewing Data."
How Is Viewing Data Used and Shared?
At VIZIO, we associate Viewing Data and other data about the performance, settings, or features of particular VIZIO devices so that we can more effectively deliver customer support services and to assist with how to troubleshoot issues that may arise with VIZIO products or services.
VIZIO also licenses television viewing history (Viewing Data) for a fee to select data partners for specified purposes through written agreements which strictly prohibit attempts at identification or re-identification of shared information.
Summary Analytics and Reports. Our select data partners may analyze Viewing Data in order to create summary reports and analysis for programmers and advertisers that will help them deliver relevant information and advertising to groups of customers that may be most interested in this information and advertising. When we license Viewing Data for this purpose, in all cases, we never share your name or contact information with these data partners, and these data partners are strictly prohibited from attempting to re-identify individual customers. These summary reports are instead built from an automated analysis of individual data elements, without connecting individual viewing behaviors or other data to any known natural person. For example, a data partner may identify a device that shares an IP address with the TV and analyze, (a) whether a particular website was viewed on a device (e.g., a smartphone) after a television advertisement related to that website was viewed, or (b) whether a particular television program was viewed following exposure to an online advertisement for that program. In addition, some data partners are authorized to use a third party data aggregator to identify demographic traits (such as gender or age range or income range) associated with the IP addresses that VIZIO collects, and then send to the data partners the demographic information associated with those IP addresses.
Audience Measurement. VIZIO and these select data partners also use Viewing Data to understand what customers watch in order to deliver more relevant content and advertising, for example, by determining which programs are most popular, how many people watch a program to its conclusion, and whether and how often people are watching commercials. VIZIO and these select data partners may also combine Viewing Data with other demographic and similar information, including by working with data aggregators.
Tailored Advertisements. VIZIO also licenses Viewing Data to select data partners for the purpose of targeting advertising to other digital devices that share the IP address of VIZIO TVs, based on viewing history collected from that TV.
VIZIO does not combine or associate the Viewing Data with Personal Information. (Reminder for SmartCast App users: Viewing Data may be combined and associated with a myVIZIO account name if you create one in the App or link to it. Please review the SmartCast Supplement for further information.)
REMINDER: You always have the option to turn off the collection of Viewing Data in your television or display’s Settings menu. However, for a period of time you may continue to see tailored ads on other devices that were targeted on the basis of Viewing Data that was shared before you turned off collection. Disabling the Video ACR (Viewing Data) feature in the Settings Menu will not, however, affect or limit collection of Activity Data through the SmartCast App, which is used to personalize and recommend content within the SmartCast App.
How Does VIZIO Protect Viewing Data?
VIZIO first protects the Viewing Data by not combining or associating the Viewing Data with Personal Information, even if VIZIO has collected Personal Information from other sources, such as an online purchase, account creation, or product registration. VIZIO also protects the Viewing Data by requiring the third parties who analyze or use the Viewing Data to employ reasonable security measures.
Even though the Viewing Data does not contain Personal Information, VIZIO encrypts the transmission of Viewing Data to its select data partners over the internet.
How Can I Turn Off or On the Viewing Data (Video ACR) Feature?
At any time you may turn Smart Interactivity (Viewing Data / Video ACR) off or on directly from the menu of your VIZIO television or display. Turning Smart Interactivity (Viewing Data / Video ACR) off will disable all future collection of Viewing Data.
For textual as well as graphical instructions on how to turn Smart Interactivity (Viewing Data / Video ACR) off or on, visit http://www.vizio.com/viewingdata. If you are unable to locate the Viewing Data setting on your VIZIO television, contact VIZIO customer service by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (855) 472-8817. Please note that if your television is ever reset to factory settings, the television will return to its default settings, and Viewing Data will be reset to the “on” position. You may again turn the feature off by following the procedure described above.